Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: 806a as a 8ohm driver???

  1. #1
    Inactive Member NBI's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 5th, 2003
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    would it be possible to turn a 806a into a 806-8a by simply changing the diaphram? Or is this not a good idea. Also what is the mim. DCR for 16 or 8 ohm drivers?? I am trying to put together a vot system and have been collecting altec parts, I found a awsome pair of 515b's at a local pawn shop in absolutly perfect cond. for $225.00, which by the way is a rare find in Alaska. they test at 13.2ohm's each. Shouldn't they test at 16? My 806a's test at 7.2ohm's and likewise my 806 8-a's at 6.9 and 6.4 I am not a engineer type, but I am a little confused. thanks for any help

  2. #2
    Inactive Member AllanCT's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14th, 2002
    Posts
    99
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    DCR tests will be lower than using an impedance bridge type meter.

    High freq. diaphragms sound like they are all 8 ohm units you have.

    Woofers look like 16 ohm units to me.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member NBI's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 5th, 2003
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Steve, Thanks for responding. Yes I do have a 811b horn, but I havent a 16ohm crossover yet. I do have a n800-8k but I dont think that will work with with the 515b. Years ago (1982ish) I found a set of altec's at the dump, each speaker had 2 15" drivers front mounted and the 806a. The 15"s had been kicked in. Not knowing any better I s******* 2 of the 15's and the xover's and traded the other 2 baskets for new orginal altec diaphrams for the 806a's. As it seams the diaphrams are 8ohm. (Im still kicking myself) Anyway I have 2 416-8a (one is bad), 2 806-8a, 2 n800-8k, 2 awsome 515b, 2 811b horns and no cabinets. Im thinking of getting rid of everything but the 515's and building a bass horn and acquiring the rest of the "correct" components via e-bay. Would you use the 802/511 combo or 806a/811b? Being way up in Alaska, shipping can get expensive. I have been following this site a couple years now and find all the info.invaluable and trust the opinion of all or at least most of you. thanks and I am anxiously awaiting any and all opnions Dave

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Steve Burger's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14th, 2002
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    In terms of which horn it would depend on the size of the room and how far away you will be. If the normal listening range is closer than say 12 feet I would go with the 811, if your room is larger and your normal listening position is farther away than 10 to 12 feet I would go with the 511. In terms which horn driver, the 802 or 902 always sounds better than an 806 though it is a fine driver (I have several sets of each). I am in Seattle so shipping may not be too bad if we could figure out some trade. Give me an email and we can see what we might be able to work out. What do you have for amps? One option is to find some used 771 biamps on ebay and have them shipped here to us in Bellingham. I have a guy that can do modifications on them and make them more stable and less likely to blow up. That way you solve the problem of obtaining a crossover or other amplifiers. The total cost of the amps if you can get them blown up and cheap and with the modification is not going to be much more than the 16 ohm crossovers. Otherwise you can usually pick up an electronic crossover cheap enough if you have 2 similar amps.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Steve Burger's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14th, 2002
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Add a 16 ohm 800 hz crossover with 811 horn or bi-amp and call it good. The 806 is not going to be optimal crossed over below that point. You did not mention which horn but typically the 806 was coupled with an 811 horn. They usually used an 802 with a 511 horn and crossed that combo over at 500 hz.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.